Sunday, February 25, 2007
posted by Q6 at 10:46 PM
I've been reading a biography of Walt Disney (my second now), and a thought occurred to me. It's about trash at our school, and how Disney theme parks deal with the problem. Not a glamourous comparison, I grant you, but worth looking at. (I told someone, many years ago, that if Walt Disney ran a school it would be a palace and be several million dollars in debt by New Year's Day--only to find out that he did run a school--CalArts--but it was a post secondary school, not a high school.) There was once a joke about Disneyland, one in which you were challenged to throw a piece of trash over your shoulder and turn around fast enough to see one of the custodial staff pick it up. I think often about the trash problem we have on our campus, and I've come to a conclusion: the students aren't very mindful of their refuse NOT because they don't care for the campus, but because (a) they're teenagers and don't think about it anyway, (b) much of our student body doesn't clean up after itself at home either, and (c) they KNOW someone else is going to clean it up. So here's the part I don't get: at school, the students know the trash will be picked up and therefore make a mess; at Disneyland, patrons know the trash will be picked up but still manage to throw their trash away. So is it a respect thing? Or am I genuinely underestimating the amount of public litter at The Magic Kingdom? I keep trying to figure out a solution to the trash problem at my school; more and more, however, I think I still don't have a grasp of the problem.