Thursday, March 08, 2007
posted by Q6 at 11:09 PM
When I was in high school I had a job as an announcer at a racetrack. I would call the races, give colorful commentary, and manage the races. My favorite (and therefore most frequent) assignment was calling the radio-controlled races (1/10th scale cars) because I could see the whole track and I wouldn't need to look at the computer to see who was winning.

So I get approached by the baseball coach the other day, and he asks me if I would be interested in announcing at our school's home games. I was a little worried about my schedule, but since the baseball field is on the opposite end of campus from my desk . . . well, how could I pass that up? I was looking for an excuse to go to our baseball games, anyway.

Overheard in the crowd on my first day: "This new guy's pretty good. He was a little rusty the first two innings, but he's gotten better."