Wednesday, December 19, 2007
posted by Q6 at 10:23 PM
I am always happy to attend the music concerts put on by our school. Of the most recent two seasonal events, I was only able to attend one: the vocal concert. (I hope those in the instrumental program will forgive me, but sometimes life--personal and professional--gets in the way.) I'm still the only site administrator who regularly attends these functions (and I don't say that to brag, but I do say it with a bit of pride--I could never go to another football game again and be perfectly content; but without the music or theater programs, I'd feel the loss), and in doing so I can fight for the survival of our music programs.

The vocal concert, held at a local church with standing-room-only seating and not half bad acoustics, was phenomenal. The Concert Choir several wonderful numbers, and the soloists--who did some holiday music and some non-seasonal fare--were wonderful. Some of the soloists are seniors, and I'm always left with a sense of, "Uh-oh, what happens when they leave?" (I'm sure the music director--a very dear friend, fine musician, and hard-working-and-it-shows kind of guy--feels the same thing on a larger scale.) The Madrigals were, as always, excellent, and I particularly enjoyed a Caribbean tune they did: "Mary's Little Boy Child" by Jester Hairston. (There were rumors that the students were fighting the inclusion of this song, going so far as to rebel during class and rehearsals; I don't know what the big deal was . . . with the possible exception of the finale, it was the best song they did.)

Once again, Bravo, Maestro. I look forward to the Spring Concerts.
 



2 Comments:


At 11:00 AM, Blogger Maestro

Well, how did I go so long without seeing this? My on-going thanks for your support, as always.

"I'm still the only site administrator who regularly attends these functions" - That's not just *OUR SCHOOL* my friend... just FYI.

Mary's Little Boy Child - The funny thing is, this ended up being MY least favorite. I like the song, it's just that the more we worked on it, the less this particular arrangement yielded. Eh, it was filler anyway. That concert was all about the last song. (Although I liked the Hannukah one a lot, too.)

"Uh Oh, what happens when they leave?" - We carry on as we always do. Truth-be-told on more than one occasion I've had people try to hold me hostage by threatening to quit. My answer has always been the same: "You are going to leave sooner or later. One way or another we have to deal with it."

It was a good concert. In more ways than one.

 

At 4:08 PM, Blogger Temple Run

I really appreciate you for this article. It's very useful information. Thanks for sharing kind of information with us .
mutilateadoll23.com
luffygames.com