Monday, July 24, 2006
posted by Q6 at 4:00 PM
I go through this every year--the summer vacation isn't one I typically enjoy. I've always been personally gratified by a sense of accomplishment, and the summer months don't really afford me the opportunity for that. At work, during the school year, I get quite a bit done, and I can leave the office at the end of the day having done a great deal. I am also a creature of routine, and summer vacation tends to screw that up in ways I can't even begin to describe. Sure, I could be getting things done around my house (one in a constant state of remodel), or I could be doing some work in anticipation of the new school year, or I could actually go on a vacation. Funds don't usually allow for the first and the third, and I've done all I can with the second.

This year seems a little different, however; it seems even more slow and painful. Not all of the time, of course; when I'm spending time with my girlfriend or my kids (and we're actually doing something), it's not bad in any way. When there's down time, however, which I've had in abundance all afternoon, I feel kind of useless and, in some weird way, helpless. The heat doesn't help, since it tends to make me all the more lethargic; and as much as I'd like to come up with something to do with my daughter, who is visiting, I find myself not having any ideas.

I know I'm luckier than most people: I have a loving girlfriend, two great kids, a stable job, a roof over my head, . . . I guess I'm just bored. Or tired. Or both.