Friday, June 30, 2006
posted by Q6 at 9:33 PM
There was an article about a month ago in the Los Angeles Times that, I think, proves the decline of American civilization as we know it. It explained that college students are now taking classes in how to do simple things . . . . like balance a checkbook, do the laundry, and cook. (The article even includes empirical evidence: the fire alarms in the dorm kitchens don't go off as often.) I'm thinking now about the parents spending $20K a year to send Junior to Berkeley so he can learn to tie his shoes better.

I have two thoughts on this particular subject. One, I'm concerned that in the wide spectrum that is public education, we've got the order wrong. We should be teaching certain things in a certain sequence, each thing at a point when it's to be best absorbed. Some of these things should be taught in schools by certified teachers, and some should be taught at home by involved parents."

Two, I'd like to give a big shout out, a hug, and a kiss to my mom; she taught my brother and me how to do a lot of this stuff as a matter of course. If everyone had a mother like mine, this class wouldn't be necessary and the world would be in a lot better shape.