Tuesday, January 06, 2009
posted by Q6 at 6:06 PM
I got a letter yesterday from the County Department of Education. It seems I've been nominated for (and will receive) an award for "Outstanding Contributions to Education." It's nice to be honored. It's nice to be recognized.

The thing is, I was nominated for this award by parents at the school I left seven months ago. The transition was not easy for me OR them (as those who read this blog regularly well know), but I got through it. I'm not as adjusted to the new school site as I'd like, but I feel that I've made the transition. I find going to the old school's events a little bit painful, so I go to very few of them. There's just too much history that makes me endure the change all over again.

Again, it's nice to be honored. It's really gratifying to be appreciated so much that the parents feel compelled to nominate me even after I'm gone. The award thing is at the Board meeting on the 23rd. My former principal will be there, my wife (who still teaches at the old school) will come, and God only knows who else is going to show. It's nice to be honored, but I know there's going to be some of that reopening-the-old-wound emotion, too.

I'll get through it, though. It's nice to be honored.