Sunday, May 18, 2008
posted by Q6 at 7:48 PM
For 10 years, and over administrative terms in two schools, I have been the Test Center Supervisor for the SAT and ACT tests. It's a job that requires me to be at school before 5am on a Saturday getting things set up, to leave after 2pm, and to get very little rest in between. It's a job that involves paperwork and test materials for 300 to 500 students at a time.

And it's a job that is no longer mine.

In preparation for my departure, I've handed this duty over to one of our teachers, a very capable and process-oriented individual. For so long, I've been treating this particular duty with a sense of personal pride. The folks at the testing firms--the SAT, specifically--are sorry to see me pass it on (but they know any successor I train will be up to the job). I've created protocols, spreadsheets, computer files, and procedures to make a test administration go as smoothly as possible. This may be the closest I come to letting go of a child before I actually have to let my son move on to adulthood.

Truth be told, even if I wasn't transferring (sorry--being transferred) from my current school, I was going to give this duty up anyway. Not only do I want my Saturdays back (my fiancee refers to it as "reclaiming my quality of life"), the money I was making--almost $6000 a year--required me to claim it as a Schedule C business, and that's been playing hell with my taxes. And the stress was something that I was becoming very used to--so it's good that I'm letting it go.

Bit by bit, I'm letting this job go. I'm still trying to decide how I feel about it.
 



2 Comments:


At 9:58 PM, Blogger Ms Characterized

I'm sure the Newbie will be fine, if you've written it up like that. Too bad your replacement has no such lexicon for reference.

Woot!

 

At 3:28 AM, Blogger Billie's Mummy

Good luck with handing the role over, I'm sure you will enjoy your new freedom on Saturdays now :)

You have an interesting blog to read! :D