Sunday, September 04, 2005
posted by Q6 at 12:05 AM
As the first day of school approaches, I am reminded of that day back in the summer of 1955 when Walt Disney opened Disneyland. Lots of attractions weren't ready, those that were broke down, and all Walt really had to go on was the manpower at his disposal. Disneyland is now nothing less than iconic, and yet it was in shambles for the first few weeks.

Our school will open with over 20 classrooms (new portable ones) WITHOUT Internet connections, WITHOUT phone systems, WITHOUT intercom or public address . . . the only things truly working in those rooms are the electricity (in most plugs), the air conditioning, and the fire alarm systems. All of these are big issues, to say nothing of the dozens of established classrooms with technical problems of their own. Almost, but not quite going back to the days of Aristotle (merely sitting under a tree with his students), our teachers will be what we really have to go on. I am putting my faith in a staff I know to be inventive, resourceful, and dedicated. Yes, they will complain; yes, they will be frustrated; but if these people are the dedicated professionals I have always known them to be, then this year's opening will still be a glorious success because we have our best resource working at full strength.

Walt would be, I think, as proud of them as I am.